Hello everyone and welcome back to the blog!
Eek – I am now over halfway into my No Buy, due to finish on November 18th (coincidentally, November 18th is exactly one month away from my birthday).
I have to admit, I keep thinking, “Has it only been 2 months of No Buy? It feels like it’s been so much longer.” However, I think that’s because I haven’t bought cosmetics for 2 months, whereas when I was working part-time at a local café, I was purchasing new makeup about once every couple of weeks.
I hate to think how much I spent on makeup – particularly just in one trip.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE, PEOPLE, NOTHING TO SEE!
But before I get on to my 2 Month Update, I have something to share with you guys. I have really been thinking about the worth of makeup recently and how it makes us feel, so … for one week, I will not be wearing ANY makeup. No BB cream / tinted moisturiser, eyeshadow, eyebrow gel, mascara, blush, lipstick, lipgloss … NADA. What I can wear is an untinted lipbalm (hello Papaw Cream!), a plain moisturiser and suncream if I feel the urge (most suncreams give me dry and flakey patches on my face). I can also use my eyelash / eyebrow brush to comb through my brows, but any other prodzzzz are strictly prohibited.
I tried to get my sister in on the challenge, but she wasn’t interested, so it’ll just be me! I am considering making it a monthly thing – that’s right, I would go makeup-free for one week every month.
If this has inspired anyone, tweet me a pic of your gorgeously bare makeup-free face (my Twitter handle is @its_beacassidy) and #beamakeupfree
** P.S. My makeup-free week begins on Monday 12th October and ends on Friday 16th October – it would go for the full 7 days, but I’m spending the weekend in Sydney with some friends for a 16th birthday. We’ll be doing some things, so I’d like to wear some lippie or whatever. Hope you understand / don’t think of me as a cheat. **
Lots of love to all my beaYOUtiful readers.
1. How do you feel when you go to put on makeup?
I really look forward to selecting products and take great pride and enjoyment the application process. I feel calm and zen and content, I used to feel so overwhelmed by the prospect of selecting what lipstick or eyeshadow to use. (I must admit that choosing has been simplified by a little makeup collection declutter).
I feel far less stressed and if I had to close my eyes and pick out the makeup products to use for the day, I would be happy with whatever I selected, because I’ve kept only my faves.
2. How many empties have you accumulated over the last 2 weeks? (skincare, fragrance and makeup)
A big, fat, whopping …
3. Which products do you expect to finish by the end of No Buy?
After accidentally snapping (*frown-y face*) and then developing a serious handicap when I tried to secure it back in the tube, there is very little left of my Peach Lily lipstick (*sad face*). Also, I lost my Australis lipstick in Ballet whilst on the train from Melbourne back home, so there is no hope of me finishing that.
4. List your fortnightly faves.
- Mascara? Innoxa Lash Define Mascara in Brown Black = it’s the only one I own and is my favourite mascara ever.
- Eyeshadow / eyeshadow palette? Innoxa Eyeshadow Palette in Daytime Neutrals, BUT I ended up just depotting / scraping out the darkest shade (refer to last update to see why).
- Base product? Natio Tinted Moisturiser SPF 20 in Neutral
- Moisturiser? Sukin Sensitive Facial Moisturiser
- Lipstick? Innoxa Satin Sheen Lipstick in Peach Lily
- Lip Gloss? Innoxa Antioxidant Lip Glaze in Guava = as it’s now Spring, I have been using this lip gloss a CRAP TONNE and have only about a third of it left. I use it on my lips (surprise, surprise), but I ALSO use it as a highlighter / illuminator on my cheeks (or on my entire face – I apply a few ‘drops’ to my tinted moisturiser and blend for an allover glow). It looks dewy and natural on the skin and is beautiful.
- Fragrance? The Body Shop Madagascan Vanilla Flower Eau de Toilette (50mL)
5. What are the positives and negatives of your No Buy thus far?
Positives: SAVING MONEY (don’t be fooled though, I have none after my week in Melbourne and I lost my handbag on the train home). Also, having a manageable collection and not getting panic attacks from the thought of choosing a lipstick. (With just 4 lippies, it’s rarely a challenge).
Negatives: I don’t have any. I’ve learned that I can still get a similar effect from swatching or watching hauls or tutorials on YouTube, without having to splash out on products.
6. Did you trash / pass on anything over these last 2 weeks?
I finally stopped moaning and groaning about whether or not to keep my Designer Brands Longwear Lipstick in Lilac Mist and got rid of it. (See last update for why). I also tossed my Natio Mineral Eyeshadow Trio in Bronzed. I never reached for this, as I found that a) the colours weren’t very pigmented; b) looked muddy when applied; and c) I used my Innoxa palette nine times out of 10. However, what was good about the Natio trio was that the eyeshadows were baked, and I only learnt a few days ago that baked shadows can be used wet or dry. Excited, I tried this and found the shadows were so much more pigmented. The lightest shade in particular, mimicked the appearance of foiled shadows (e.g.the Australis Metallix / AC-ME Eyeshadow in Gold Gaga), but the shadow then began to peel and “ball up”. Disappointed and frustrated, I trashed the trio.
I have added a seventh question to my No Buy Updates because I am a stickybeak and love to know what products people are interested in purchasing.
7. What’s on your wish list?
Innoxa Silk Skin Primer: AUD $24.95
Lovea Organic Sunscreen SPF 50 Daily Face Cream (50mL): GBP £17.99
Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette: AUD $53.00
Anastasia Beverly Hills Shadow Couture World Traveller Palette: US $30.00 *LIMITED EDITION*
// Bea //