This week is my first week of holidays (THANK GOD IT’S FINALLY HERE) and as you may or may not know, I am in Melbourne! (I lied; I am writing this beginning bit on Friday afternoon, 18th September, while I am at school – my Science teacher is absolutely lovely. As it is our last day, he let us do as we pleased, once we’d finished our test).
My sister and I jumped on the train at 9.21am at our local train station on Tuesday 22nd September and arrived in Melbourne at 6.30pm that night.
We are going home on the Monday (but we will be asleep when this post goes live at 2am AEST), but depending on where you live and if you read this, we will be sleeping, be on the train or be back at home.
1. How do you feel when you go to put on makeup?
As I’ve said in pretty much every single one of my Updates, I look forward to applying my makeup more and more, with every passing day. I get excited by the thought of picking out a lipstick, as I love them *all and it can be a challenge to decide which one to wear.
I have also been really finding out which makeup styles / looks look best on me and what to stay away from (no matter how good it looks on Monica (DaynNight25), Ami (foreverFreexoAmi), Hannah (hannahyep), Kylie Jenner, Shannon (Shaaanxo), Fleur (Fleur de Force), Lily (Lily Pebbles), Jerusha (JerushaCouture), Chloe Morello, Ella Victoria, Sharon (Sharonthemakeupartist) – the list goes on).
“*all” = *Except for a couple, which are on the firing line*
2. How many empties have you accumulated over the last 2 weeks? (skincare, fragrance and makeup)
Two shampoos, one deodorant …
3. Which products do you expect to finish by the end of No Buy?
My Australis lipstick in Ballet will probably be close to the end of its life and my Sukin Moisturiser is on its last legs. (Thanks to The Sister for letting me ‘borrow’ some of her Regular Facial Moisturiser).
4. List your fortnightly faves.
- Mascara? Innoxa Lash Define Mascara in Brown Black = it’s the only one I own and is the best mascara that I’ve ever owned. ** I cannot confirm or deny that when my No Buy is up, I might make a little mascara purchase from Too Faced, though. **
- Eyeshadow / eyeshadow palette? Innoxa Eyeshadow Palette in Daytime Neutrals, BUT the dark brown eyeshadow has cracked and leaves little “I’ve been here” messages wherever it goes. 😦
- Base product? Natio Tinted Moisturiser SPF 20 in Neutral
- Moisturiser? Sukin Sensitive Facial Moisturiser
- Lipstick? Nude By Nature Natural Mineral Lipstick in Chique
- Lip Gloss? Innoxa Antioxidant Lip Glaze in Guava
- Fragrance? The Body Shop Madagascan Vanilla Flower Eau de Toilette (50mL)
5. What are the positives and negatives of your No Buy thus far?
Positives: I am learning more and more what looks good on me and more importantly, what I like on me. I’ve learned that I prefer subtle eye makeup over extravagant, fluro eyes (but you do you!). I like a bold lip, within reason. Something that is still – even in a miniscule way – wearable and – dare I say it – natural. Safe. I’ve found that it’s true – wear as light of a base as you can get away with. If you don’t find yourself gifted with angry pimples, don’t go with a full-coverage foundation. Instead, opt for a tinted moisturiser or BB cream. My skin is *normally fairly clear (I’m very lucky!), so a TM works great for me.
*Except when Aunt Flow comes to town …
Also, saving money. Albeit, my holiday budget is going to be a little tight, after being in Melbourne for a week, but there’s definitely more money in my wallet, than there would have been if I wasn’t on a No Buy.
Negatives: That little rush when you buy some new cosmetics, BUT I have realised (partial thanks to hannahyep) that I can still get that same enjoyment just by swatching and trying-on in the store. So, on Friday after meeting up with Monica, Ami and Hannah, I went into Priceline and had a little swatching frenzy and it was freaking fantastic! AND I found my perfect soft corally pink lipstick. AND it’s only $4.95. AND it’s cruelty-free. #winnerwinnerchickendinner
(I can’t remember the shade name).
** I have trashed various cosmetics over my No Buy, but I began getting rid of makeup before that. I thought you might be interested in what I get rid of, so I’ve introduced a sixth question for my No Buy UPDATES. **
6. Did you trash / pass on anything over these last 2 weeks?
**I haven’t yet gotten rid of my Designer Brands Longwear Lipstick in 671 Lilac Mist yet, as it looked very pretty on; it’s on trial. To be completely honest, though, I don’t know why I’m holding on to it. I say that it would look really nice with a black smokey eye, but a) I don’t own black / silver eyeshadows and b) the lipstick is super duper frosty and when I apply it, I tend to take it off straightaway. **
Yes, I went through my makeup collection and got rid of 4 lipsticks and one nail polish.
- TRASH Natio Nail Colour in French
- PASS ON (The Sister) Australis Colour Inject Moisturising Mineral Lipstick in Salsa
- PASS ON (The Sister) ModelsPrefer in Peach Ice Tea
- PASS ON (hannahyep) Australis Colour Inject Moisturising Mineral Lipstick in Super Crump
- TRASH Innoxa Satin Sheen Lipstick in Poppy
** I live in Australia and as we are in the Southern Hemisphere, we are the opposite to you guys up in the North. So when I say it’s Spring, I mean that it’s Spring where I live. When I say that it’s warm, I mean that it’s warm where I live.