So … it’s now been 2 weeks since my last makeup purchase; 86 days of my No Buy are remaining!
To help track my progress, I’m going to ask myself the same five questions every update, let’s see if / how my answers differ each time.
1. How do you feel when you go to put on makeup?
I am beginning to be not so overwhelmed by my little collection, especially my lipstick stash. Rather, I am enjoying putting on my makeup more. In the last month or so, I’ve chucked out 1 lip gloss, a liquid lipstick, a mineral illuminator powder and an eyeshadow & blush palette, as I wasn’t using them / didn’t like the formula / didn’t like the scent (the Natio Mineral Face Illuminator powder – no longer available – had a super strong chemical scent) / didn’t like the colour and so on. Also, my Australis Colour Inject Moisturising Mineral Lipstick in ‘Salsa’ is on death row at the moment – the colour is so bright, it’s drying and difficult to apply.
2. How many empties have you accumulated over the last 2 weeks? (skincare, fragrance and makeup)
I have 5 empties so far, however, only one is makeup-related.
Antipodes Kiwi Seed Oil Eye Cream (30mL), Sukin Sensitive Calming Night Cream (120mL), The Body Shop Vitamin E Cream Cleanser (60mL), Formula 10.0.6. Best Face Forward Daily Foaming Cleanser with Passionfruit & Green Tea (125mL) and L’Oréal Base Magique Transforming Smoothing Primer (5mL sample).
3. Which products do you expect to finish by the end of No Buy?
I wouldn’t be surprised if I finish my Australis Colour Inject Moisturising Mineral Lipstick in ‘Ballet’ – it’s one of my all-time favourite lippies. Lipstick crisis? Not sure which lipstick to wear? #Balletalwayswins
4. List your fortnightly faves.
- Mascara? Innoxa Lash Define Mascara in ‘Brown Black’ = This is easy, as I only have one and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
- Eyeshadow / eyeshadow palette? Innoxa Eyeshadow Palette in ‘Daytime Neutrals’ = Perfect four shades for every skin tone. I love the copper shadow to line my upper lash line, a cool alternative to the bog-standard black.
- Base product? Beauty Care Co SPF 50+ Sunscreen Lotion = Provides more than double the sun protection than my Natio Tinted Moisturiser and easy to slap on / no blending required.
- Moisturiser? Sukin Sensitive Facial Moisturiser = Need I say more?!
- Lipstick? Innoxa Classic Colour Lipstick in ‘Boysenberry’ = The perfect reddy/pinky/plummy shade – not too vampy, not too girly.
- Lip Gloss? Designer Brands Cosmetics Lavish Lip Gloss in ‘Pink Rose’ = A nice pinky/mauvey/nudey colour that looks great on its own, or over a lippie (I’ve found that it works really nicely with Nude By Nature’s Natural Mineral Lipstick in ‘Chique’ – it gives a more pink tinge, as opposed to a brown).
- Fragrance? The Body Shop’s Madagascan Vanilla Flower Eau De Toilette (50mL) = A warm, but not too sweet vanilla that just screams ‘Bea’, but ANYONE will love this scent. Unless you are an alien. Or Tony Abbott.
5. What are the positives and negatives of your No Buy thus far?
Positives: Saving money is a major one (beginning to see a little nest egg developing, with plenty of time to grow big enough to get a Father’s Day pressie for Dad), not stressing out as much when deciding what makeup to wear and not feeling so drawn into stores that sell makeup. I feel less inclined to check Priceline, Mecca and BeautyBay every single day. I am less interested in watching beauty hauls / beauty reviews on YouTube. One funny thing is that I also don’t feel the need to wear so much makeup. Today, for example, I wore no eyeshadow or blush, nor did I draw in my eyebrows. Finally, I’m really enjoying my No Buy. I find it cathartic and feel like I’m helping the environment in some way by not buying, buying, buying; instead, I’m using, using, using what I already have. I see my No Buy as a challenge and find it fun, as if I’m being thrifty with my makeup.
Negatives: I sort-of miss browsing the shelves and that little rush you get when you’ve purchased the items you want and it all belongs to you. *I know that last point in particular is ridiculous, but don’t we all love the feeling of the store bag/s swinging and knowing that we’ve got some new goodies to try out?!*
See you in a fortnight for my next Update!